Monday, July 22, 2013

How to clean your Crock Pot

I love my crock pot!  It gets used at least weekly in my house!  Just this week I made 3 crock pot meals because it was 90+ degrees here and just to hot to run my oven!  Our last meal this week, Crock Pot Bacon Ranch Chicken (amazing by the way!) Left burnt sauce in my crock.  My sweet 12 year old who is in charge of dishes used a spoon to scrap out the burnt stuff .. leaving silver scratch marks all over.  The inside of the crock pot was pretty dirty as well .. I am pretty sure this is burnt pulled pork from last summer ... don't judge. The problem was the stuff inside the crock pot was hard as a rock and the stuff in the crock had already gone through the dish washer and had not come off. 


I sprayed some oven cleaner into my crock pot, Easy Off Fume Free (but I still opened a window) and just let it sit. 


For the crock I went with my old stand by Bar Keepers Friend!  The same stuff used to clean my kitchen sink and even my daughters shoes!  See the burnt food and scratch marks? 


You need to wet the surface you want to clean and then sprinkle on the BKF. 


I also like to sprinkle it on my scrubber .. you want a "paste"


It took no elbow grease and about 5 minutes to scrub it clean!  Tada! 


Mean while .. the crock pot has been sitting now for 5 minutes with oven cleaner on it.


Again, no elbow grease and about 5 minutes and all the gunk just wiped off! 


Gave it a good rinse inside and out and tada!


Here, some side by side action of the before and after! 


Please don't panic about my miss-matched crock and pot .. we support interracial relationships :)  The truth is I am rather hard on crock pots .. I broke the "crock" on my black one and the "pot" on my white one and thanks to my sweet husbands hording tendencies .. I ended up with a new crock pot :) 





18 comments:

  1. Oven spray!!!! Duh! Why haven't I thought of that? Your pot looked just like mine and I've been trying to ignore the burnt spots thinking it was hopeless. Thank you so much for the real-true-practical tip! I'll be jumping on this today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I am not the only one with a dirty crock pot!!

      Delete
  2. Awesome tips...I am a crockpot lover and will totally have to try this trick.
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS, I would love for you to share at my Weekend Beautiful Blog Party...one day left :-)
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked up to your party! Thanks for letting me know about it .. I will visit each week!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, this is so awesome! I just used my crock pot the other day and was wondering what on earth I could do to clean it up! I'll be trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Bar Keeper's Friend - my mama swears by it and uses it to clean EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How timely! My crock is soaking in the sink from last night's dinner...Thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How timely! My crock is soaking in the sink from last night's dinner...Thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I sooooo need this. I saw your post on Madcap Frenzy and had to see just how you cleaned your crock pot. Mine currently looks about as bad as yours did. I have to try this. Thanks for posting this on Madcap Frenzy.

    Handmade at Warratahstree

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice and all I have to say is THANK GOODNESS I'm not the only one with leftover pulled pork reside (I mean memories) on my crock pot from summers ago. Congrats on the feature. Hugs, Holly @ coconutheadsurvivalguide

    ReplyDelete
  10. So simple makes me wonder why I never thought of that! Crock pots are such a convenience but can be such a pain in the rear to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've used Bar Keeper's Friend on the crock part of mine but have never thought to use oven cleaner on the cooker part. What a good idea!! Have you ever used the crock pot liners? They work pretty good. But I have to say I don't use them as often as I do and still have to clean my crock pot! Thanks for the tips!! Here from HOH.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Bar Keeper's Friend! I use it so often! And no worries, I have left over stuf in my crock pot. No worries! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The gang at My Personal Accent thinks your post about How to Clean Your Crockpot is WONDERFUL. We would like to invite you to party with us at our new Blog Strut Peacock Style Link Party to share your creative ideas. Come on over!! http://wp.me/P2Vf55-1K

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful post.. I hate cleaning job and often opt for commercial end of lease cleaning services.. Now I will try to use the post information for implementing DIY cleaning method

    ReplyDelete
  15. Water Damage Restoration: Find the best water damage technicians to do the exclusive water damage restoration work for your home in Brisbane. Sunset Carpet Cleaning is one such reputed brand name that offers top quality home maintenance services in the form of emergency flood responses, complete carpet restoration, removal of water stains, mildew removal, and high pressure water cleaning services to name a few. They are always available to restore damages caused accidentally, due to natural calamities and commercial loses.


    Carpet Flood Damage

    ReplyDelete
  16. My oven cleaner guy gave me a tip for the crock pots. Using a product similar to yours, but lightly rub with Steel Wool. Works an absolutely treat and doesn't scratch crock pots either. Really nice chap if you are in the area, called oven cleaner sheffield

    ReplyDelete