Sunday, August 25, 2013

My new white coat

I knew from the start that I would paint the table base and benches white.  Although this set is not quite "farm house" -ish, its close.  I was thinking something like this Pottery Barn table which sells for way over a grand!


I am going to use just basic off the shelf white high gloss paint.  The high gloss will give it great wipe-ability and with the darker stain top and bright fabric .. well its going to be gorgeous!

I gathered my supplies and headed outside on a beautiful 75 degree day!


I read lots and lots of tips on painting wooden furniture, I loved this one from Centsational Girl. So I followed it as best as I could!

You can tell here that there used to be a corner piece to this bench. 


Since I was going to paint it white I just used wood filler to fill the holes and painted right over. 

I use Zinsser primer, because everyone swears by it, and because it meant NO MORE SANDING!

I primed the benches and table legs with a roller and brush.


I used a spray can for the chairs. 


I let the paint cure for a while.  2 months actually (hey, life happens!)

Then I painted the bench and table legs glossy white with brush and roller. 

And sprayed the chairs again.



The set looks amazing!  Bright white .. clean .. shiny .. I love it!

Up next, the big reveal! 











10 comments:

  1. A great start! Can't wait to see the cushions! Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIYers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-last-weeks-top-three.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking great...love how bright it is now and I agree with you....Zinser is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty and such great pieces. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. White does make a huge difference! I am in the process of painting some dining chairs white myself... not sure why it is taking me a month to complete them:) Yours look fabulous! I would be super thrilled if you had a chance to share your great tutorial at our new mega-party Work it Wednesday if you haven't already. Each link will be shown on 4 blogs! Work it Wednesday

    - Krista @ the happy housie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will link up right now! I am sharing the finished project Monday! Don't feel to bad, it took me 4 MONTHS to finish this!! Think of it as extra curing time on the paint :)

      Delete
  6. Love white furniture - so pretty. Nice job. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your new furniture looks Beautiful~!! I absolutely adore it.Leather Button Beds

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    nasza oferta

    ReplyDelete